Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kimber's Violin Debut

I played the violin for an art exhibition at Graph Cafe yesterday. I really loved it. I was able to secure some free sheet music online and Pi-Ton and her brother Poom helped me to locate a printer and paper to use yesterday morning. I taped up all of the music along the walls of my house and practiced for a good two hours before heading over to the Cafe.

I had a whole group of fans there waiting to watch me play. Diana had brought some of the kids down from the home to watch me (about 15 of them). The two new volunteers (a fruity social worker and his slightly less crazy wife) were there as well as Paul, Machima, and Machima's new French boyfriend, Matthew. The new Mongolian home Didi came down along with Chandra, and I was especially pleased to see Pi Sai and her English Husband Charlie (I met them a few weeks ago and really hit it off with Sai who owns a violin and would like to learn how to play better). The owner of the teahouse, Pi Ton was also there along with her niece (?) Meem, and brother, Poom. A Belgian girl named Greta that I met a few days ago came, and in the very back was one of the school teacher's, Grace. The only people I didn't know included an older couple volunteering at another children's home in the area (I met them after my performance), and a lady from Hungary who clapped enthusiastically after every song.

I used the kids as my music stand--each of them would hold up one or two sheets of music for me--I felt bad for their arms, which must have grown tired after awhile. I played some simple minuets, a few concerto movements (Seitz and Vivaldi), and then finished grandly with a fiddle tune (Boil them cabbages Down). It was SO much fun, and just like playing for family or maybe a ward get together.

Today as I walked past Graph Cafe, Wat (at least I THINK that's the owner's name) ran out to give me a Graph Cafe T-shirt to thank me for playing. I'm touched. I probably won't wear this t-shirt much at home since it's bright orange and talks about coffee...but I'll wear it out here the best I can.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE to hear of your experiences! It is so exciting to me. I'm sorry to hear that you've had times of lonliness(althought I think we all do sometimes), but know that I am thinking of you and catching up on your blog when I can. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimber! So I know we don't know each other too well, but I found your blog today on one of my friends blogs. What an exciting adventure your on. I remember my 6 month adventure to Africa and Italy. It's amazing to see the different ways people live huh? I'd love to catch up with you. I know how lonely being abroad can be. It can get really hard. Really. Email me sometime if you have time. Aaronandhaili@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers